Monday, September 6, 2010

Feeling Homesick

Every year as we cross into September I get a little lump in my throat.  For me, there is nothing more beautiful than Michigan in the fall. The colors, the smells, the cool invigorating air. I've been gone for about 9 years now and I can still close my eyes and see my favorite places clearly and smell the damp cold dirt. For anyone who has never visited Michigan I encourage you to save your pennies and head north for you next vacation. There is something for everyone there. Small towns to explore, constant festivals of all sorts, some of the finest wineries, water everywhere.  I could go on and on listing all of the wonderful things Michigan has to offer. Tonight I want to focus on one of the things I miss the most. Barns. Yup. I miss them terribly.  They are beautiful and it breaks my heart every time I hear of someone tearing down an old historic barn. They just don't make them like that anymore and I think they should try and save as many as possible.  I used to take my books up into the hayloft and read for hours; tucked into the hay with a few barn kittens. The sweet smell of horse grain permeating the air. I would even take my trumpet up there and practice for hours. I loved opening the window and looking out over the fields. Especially the wheat. The golden rods blowing gently in the breeze.  You can't help but feel completely relaxed when you're looking out over this:





Here are a few pictures of barns I've collected over the years. I hope you find them as relaxing and beautiful as I do.










1 comment:

  1. These are so pretty! I love barns too. I especially love the serene shots of a barn in the moonlight with snow on the ground. There is just something so calming and peaceful about it.

    Go to my blog and check out the pictures we took from the lookout tower on the Gettysburg battlefield...So gorgeous =)

    ReplyDelete